Since 2002-03, ($59.5 million in education (programs and) services have been cut in the Vancouver school district because provincial government funding increases have not kept pace with rising costs. Most of these costs are provincially determined and downloaded to district operating costs, for example: provincially negotiated teacher salary increments; pension plan premium increases; MSP premium increases; carbon emission reporting; and carbon-offset purchase requirements.
When these costs are not fully funded, staffing, programs and services must be reduced, further eroding a vibrant education system that offers innovative and amazing opportunities for our students.
Public education is a fundamental human right and a strong public school system is critical to preserving the ideals of a democratic society. We have a collective responsibility, therefore, to uphold the mandate of public education and ensure it is strong and viable. It is through advocacy and demonstrated success that we can preserve and improve our public education system and ensure all individuals have access to its resources and opportunities.
As trustees, we are calling on government to protect to protect public education so that our children can be equipped with the 21st Century knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the future health, prosperity and economic success of this province.
In delivering the government’s Throne Speech in February 2009, Lt.Governor Steven Point said: “Education is the best economic development and health promotion program ever invented. In tight economic times, it is only smart to maintain and expand educational investments.”
We urge the provincial government to reinvest in K-12 Education and to follow the recommendations of the Legislature Standing Committee on Finance & Government Services by providing adequate and stable funding for public education.
2016/2017 Budget Process
- letter from VSB Chair to Minister of Education re: Vancouver Board of Education 2016/17 Operating Budget - July 7, 2016
- VSB Chair Provides Statement on 2016/17 Operating Budget - May 6, 2016
- letter from VSB Trustees to the Minister of Education re: April 15, 2016 Letter - Board Operating Budget
- 2016/2017 Budget Process / Timeline
- letter from VSB Trustees to BC Premier and Minister of Education re: Request for Meeting - 2016/17 Budget
- letter from VSB Trustees to Vancouver Liberal MLA's re: Invitation for Meeting - 2016/17 Budget
- letter from VSB Trustees to Vancouver NDP MLA's re: Invitation for Meeting - 2016/17 Budget
- Budget Restoration Memorandum
2015/2016 Trustee Advocacy Letters
- letter from VSB Trustees to Vancouver Mayor and Council re: Marijuana Dispensaries
- letter from VSB Trustees to Premier, Minister of Education and Minister of Finance
- letter from VSB Trustees to Minister Bernier re: Routine Capital Program
Submission to Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services
- VSB Budget 2016 Consultation submitted to the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services.
2015/2016 Budget Process
- Click here to read a letter from VBE Board Chair to Minister of Education re 2016/17 Operating Budget and Surplus
- Click here to read a letter from VSB Chairperson Christopher Richardson to Minister Fassbender re:VBE Restoration Budget
- Click here to read a letter from VSB Chairperson Christopher Richardson to Premier Clark, Minister Fassbender and Minister de Jong regarding the provincial budget
- Click here to download the draft preliminary budget proposals for 2015/2016
- Click here to download our summary document in PDF. Click here and here to download these pages as images.
- Click here to download the VSB restoration budget in PDF
- Click here to download the VSB restoration budget infographic
- Click here to download the VSB budget presentation to Vancouver MLAs
Submission to BC Child and Youth Mental Health Standing Committee
Click here to read the VSB's submission to the BC Child and Youth Health Standing Committee.
VSB Seismic Mitigation Project Office
Click here to read a letter to the Ministry of Education regarding the Seismic Mitigation Project Office on May 5, 2011.
Click here to read a letter to the Ministry of Education regarding the Seismic Mitigation Project Office on August 29, 2014.
Click here to read our signed Memorandum of Understanding with the Ministry of Education regarding the VSB Seismic Mitigation Project Office.
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Policy Update
Job Action 2014
Click here to view a July 8, 2014 letter sent by the Board of Education to Minister Fassbender and Mr. Iker regarding a call for binding arbitration.
Click here to view a June 25, 2014 letter sent by the Board of Education to Premier Christy Clark, Minister Peter Fassbender and Minister Shirley Bond regarding the appointment of an Industrial Inquiry Commissioner.
Click here to view a June 12, 2014 letter sent by the Board of Education to Premier Christy Clark regarding bargaining with teachers.
Click here to view a May 21, 2014 letter sent by the Board of Education to Premier Christy Clark and Minister Peter Fassbender regarding provincial bargaining.
2014/2015 Trustee Advocacy Letters
- letter from VSB Trustees to Minister Fassbender re: Special Advisor's Report
- letter from VSB Trustees to Minister Fassbender re: StrongStart Funding
- letter from VSB Trustees to Minister Fassbender re: Reversal of Funding Changes for Upgrading Courses for Graduated Adults
2014/2015 Budget Process
- 2014/2015 Annual Budget
- 2014/2015 Preliminary Budget Proposals April 30 Update
- 2014/2015 Budget Infographic
- 2014/2015 Infographic detailing 7 years of cuts to the VSB budget
- 2014/2015 Restoration Budget
- Joint Letter to Premier Christy Clark, Minister Peter Fassbender and Minister Michael de Jong
- 2014/2015 Revised Preliminary Operating Budget Cover Memo
- 2014/2015 Revised Preliminary Operating Budget Proposal
- 2014/2015 Preliminary Budget Brochure
- 2014/2015 Preliminary Budget Proposal (PowerPoint)
- 2014/2015 Preliminary Budget Proposals
- 2014/2015 Fiscal Framework
- 2014/2015 Fiscal Framework Division Details
- 2013/2014 Preliminary Operating Budget
Click here to download a 2013 study around school/parent community fundraising.
Student Trustee Pilot Project
Click here to download the current student trustee pilot regulations.
Click here to download the current student trustee pilot policy.
On May 1, 2012, the Provincial Government made changes to the Education Gurantee affecting Adult Education in the District of Vancouver as well as many other school districts. In response the Board of Education passed a number of motions to advocate for the government to rescind changes to the Education Guarantee.
The VSB is also planning to host a Adult Education Forum on June 20, 2012 at 7 PM at the VSB's Education Centre (1580 West Broadway) to discuss the impact of the changes on both students and teachers.
Click here to download a package of media clippings of stories showcasing the success of the VSB Adult Ed program.
Advocacy at the BCSTA
Click here to read a motion brought to the 2013 BCSTA AGM regarding Student Trustees on Boards of Education.
Click here to read a motion brought to the 2013 BCSTA AGM regarding Byelection requirments in Vancouver and Delta.
Click here to read a motion brought to the 2013 BCSTA AGM regarding a poverty reducation plan.
Click here to read a motion brought to the 2013 BCSTA AGM regarding seismic mitigation program deferred maitenance.
Click here to read a response from Minister Fassbender regarding Graduated Adult Funding
VSB Restoration Budget
Click here to read the Chairperson's briefing to the BC Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services presented September 20, 2013
Share Strategies and Information
Get involved with the Trustees Advocacy Committee
The VSB Advocacy Committee welcomes your ideas and suggestions for further advocacy actions and campaigns. Please let us know about your advocacy efforts over the coming months. For information about getting involved with the committee, please contact Chairperson Patti Bacchus at email@example.com
Contact your school’s liaison trustee
If you require additional information or support, please contact your school’s liaison trustee. They may also be available to speak at an upcoming Parent Advisory Council (PAC) on the trustee’s focus on advocacy for public education.
To identify your school’s liaison, locate your school on the list of schools and look for the listing of district contacts.
The VSB Advocacy Committee
Partner groups represented on the VSB’s Advocacy Committee:
- VSB trustees
- Vancouver District Parent Advisory Council
- VSTA: Vancouver Secondary Teachers’ Association
- VASSA: Vancouver Association of Secondary School Administrators
- VESTA: Vancouver Elementary Teachers’ Association
- VEPVA: Vancouver Elementary Principals’ and Vice-Principals’ Association
- IUOE, Loc. 963: International Union of Operating Engineers
- CUPE 15: Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 15
- CUPE 407: Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 407
- VSB Trades
Links to organizations advocating for public education: