UPDATED - Supporting Student Learning at Home
Many parents have been asking for information on ways to support their child(ren) at home. Below are links to online resources and websites which may be of support to you and your child, in exploring topics of interest.
We understand that these do not take the place of the regular instruction that your child would receive in their classroom.
BC Ministry of Education
Below are listed websites from the Ministry of Education that provide parents with suggestions, advice and tips for supporting learning at home. The first three sites are focused on supporting learning with elementary age children. The last site provides grade specific information on healthy living, physical exercise and eating, which is also downloadable in a multitude of languages.
When exploring topics with your child, three questions you can ask to promote further inquiry, dialogue and connections are: What do you notice? What do you wonder? What does this remind you of?
Encourage your child to share their thinking and learning with you in creative and engaging ways.
ERAC (Educational Resource Acquisition Consortium) has arranged for BC students and their parents to gain easy home access to the ERAC Online Database Bundle until schools reopen for the new school year.
|Publisher (Titles)||URL or Link||Username &Password|
|Nelson/Gale-Cengage||Direct link to database http://find.galegroup.com/||If asked for Password: BCSTUDENT1|
Vancouver Public Library
Burnaby Public Library
Online access to Songs and Rhymes in 15 languages are available at the Burnaby Library.
Topic Specific Websites
- Illuminations – Lessons and Interactive Resources
- Canadian Math Kangaroo Contest (Gr 1 up)
- Caribou Math Contest (Gr 3 up)
- Grade 3 and 4 Math from Nelson
- Carol Fullerton - Math games and activities
- IXL Math - (limit of 15 free questions per day)
- Tumble Books - There is a 30 day free trial.
- Reading and Writing
- Primary - Listening/Reading
- Primary - Phonics and levelled reading
- K-5 Reading - ECB.org
- K-5 Reading - Youngzine.Org
- Reading - site to promote award winning books
- NASA Kids Club for younger students
- The Why Files? – Science Behind the News
- The Physics Classroom
- National Geographic Kids
- Museum of Anthropology: online exhibits and their online collection
- National Art Gallery of Canada
- Kennedy Centre Online
These sites all have interactive videos, collections, and information sorted by age and subject level.