In the naming of new facilities, it is the practice of the Board of School Trustees (the “Board”) to honour Vancouver's historical heritage and to recognize outstanding members of the community and other persons for their efforts and public service on behalf of children and the nation in general.
In keeping with this practice, the following general conditions will apply:
- Names selected for Vancouver schools should honour the historical and cultural/ethnic heritage – including the First Nations community, recognize outstanding individuals, be reflective of the region, or be significant to the geography of the area. Names of individuals should only be used posthumously.
- Secondary schools will officially use the designation "Secondary School" after the selected name, elementary schools will officially use the designation "Elementary School" after the selected name, and elementary school annexes will officially use the designation "Annex" after the selected name.
- Provisions may be made for schools that fall outside elementary and secondary parameters, ie K-7 and 8-12, to drop secondary and elementary nomenclature. These schools will officially use the designation “school” after the selected name.
- An annex should generally be given the same name as its main school, because it is part of the main school and shares the same principal.
- A facility name that is already in use in another school district, especially a neighbouring one, should be avoided.