The decision to re-open a school for local school purposes or for district program purposes is based on the educational requirements of the Board of School Trustees (the “Board”).
Procedures for implementing the re-opening of closed school facilities for local needs or district programs:
- Planning and Facililties Committee (Committee II), in private session, receives a report from senior management on space needs, background information, cost estimates and recommendations on space requirements and proposed re-openings. The Committee forwards its recommendations to the Board.
- The Board, in private session, decides on proposed re-opening for local school purposes brought forward from Planning and Facilities Committee. In the case of a proposed re-opening for district program purposes prior to a decision by the Board, the matter will be referred to a public meeting - see item 4(b) below.
- Board decisions are announced in public session of the next Planning and Facilities Committee meeting. The process for implementing decisions is reviewed.
Local School Purposes
- The appropriate associate superintendent - area will arrange a meeting as soon as possible to inform the principal, school staff and the Parent Advisory Council (PAC) executive of the main or adjacent schools about the re-opening of the school facility.
- As a result of the meeting noted above and if required, the associate superintendent - area may convene a public information meeting to advise the parents and interested community residents about the school re-opening.
District Program Purposes
- If an existing district program is to be relocated to a facility, the principal, staff and PAC executive or parent group of that program will be advised as soon as possible by the appropriate associate superintendent - area.
- The associate superintendent-area responsible for the school facility considered for re-opening will inform the principals, staff, and PAC executives of adjacent schools and will convene a public information meeting as soon as possible to advise parents and interested community residents about the proposed school re-opening. The public information meeting will be held within the local area affected by the proposed re-opening.
- Following the public information meeting, the input from the community will be reported to the Planning and Facilities Committee, and a recommendation on the proposed re-opening for district program purposes will be forwarded to the Board.
- Prior to any public information meeting, appropriate notification will be provided in the local press and in the newsletters of schools adjoining the facility to be re-opened.
- Board staff will commence activities to ensure the successful re-opening of the facility.
DMT Responsibility: D-FSS