To maximize space utilization to provide for regular Kindergarten to Grade 12 (K to 12) program requirements and space needs for district K to 12 education programs, the Board of School Trustees (the “Board”) has adopted regulations for the use of classroom and support service space, and guidelines for renovations.
Accommodation of District Programs
Whenever possible, district classes for special education will be located in or near the home schools of the students. Elementary and secondary schools may be required to provide space for new district classes and district programs, and should limit cross-boundary enrolments accordingly. VSB staff responsible for their respective district or special education areas will advise the Director of Planning & Facilities no later than April 30 of their space requirements for the upcoming school year. Following consultation with the associate superintendent(s) and administrative officers, elementary and secondary schools will be notified of the space requirements for these district programs as soon as possible.
Priorities for School Space Use
The priorities for school space use for K - 12 are outlined as follows:
- enrolling requirements used for regular K to 12 - enrolling requirements, including mandatory ancillary space, that reflect, where possible, Ministry of Education,Skills and Training (MEST) space standards and according to VSB Board collective agreements;
- enrolling requirements used for special education and/or other district programs;
- enrolling requirements used for district K to 12 support services located in schools (eg. psychologist, speech language pathologist);
- after the space requirements for enroling purposes are met, available space may be used for other priorities in support of the K - 12 program (eg. non-enrolling uses, such as art and science); such school space will be reclaimed as needed for enroling purposes under the first three items 1 through 3;
- after the above facility needs/uses have been met, the next priority for use may be referred to under FNB - Use of Facilities and Grounds for Other VSB Initiatives - and FNC - Commercial and Non-Profit Use of Facilities and Grounds.
Additional portable classroom facilities will not be provided to elementary schools if classrooms may be recovered which are used for any of the following purposes: Additional portable elementary classrooms will not be provided where existing facilties are being used for: child care programs, art, science, music rooms, parent rooms, adult programs offered by Community Education Services, inner city project rooms, and others (e.g. but not limited to, computer rooms and itinerant staff usage).
While planning for the provision and general use of school facilities is the responsibility of the Vancouver School Board VSB Board, funding is derived from two principal sources: the Ministry of Education, Skills and Training (MEST) and the VSB Board operating budget. The Ministry of Education MEST Ministry provides capital funding, according to strict rules and regulations that must be adhered to. In the allocation and use of school facilities, consideration should be given Ministry MEST Ministry standards to avoid unnecessary VSB Board expenditures.
As Ministry MEST Ministry area standards provide the foundation for major capital expenditures, they standards should also be considered in all renovation projects. Collective agreements may require the provision of additional classrooms spaces, but other space requests cannot necessarily be provided.
DMT Responsibility: D-FSS