Kindergarten Registration FAQ

What is the application process for Kindergarten?

Applications for Kindergarten for the following September will begin on November 1st. All Kindergarten registration occurs initially at your local English catchment school. 

Students applying for registration between November 1st  and the end of January will be given enrollment priority over those who apply later. Should there be more applicants than available space in any program at the end of January, a draw will be held.

What is the application process for Choice programs (French Immersion, Aboriginal Focus, Montessori, Fine Arts, International Baccalaureate and Early Mandarin Bilingual?)

The application process for all Kindergarten choice programs can be found at Applications for Kindergarten choice programs will be accepted from mid-January to early February.

When can a family register their child for Kindergarten?

Applications for Kindergarten for the following September will be accepted beginning November 1st. A family can register their child(ren) for Kindergarten if the student will reach the age of 5 years on or before December 31 of the calendar year.

Where do I submit my Kindergarten application?

Applications for Kindergarten are submitted at the child’s English catchment school.

How do I find out which catchment area I live in?

Please visit: School Locator Search by Street Name.

My child was born outside of Canada. How can I register him/her for school?

Students born outside Canada must first register at the District Reception and Placement Centre (DRPC).  Please see the DRPC website for more specific information about registration procedures.

What documentation am I required to bring when I submit my child’s Kindergarten application?

  1. Completed application form
  2. Proof of residence in Vancouver
  3. Child’s birth certificate
  4. Immigration documents, Canadian Citizenship documents or Aboriginal status identification for parents and children
  5. Immunization records and other important health information(e.g. medical alerts)
  6. Child’s previous report card (if applicable)
  7. Any other relevant documentation involving guardianship, court orders, etc.

What happens if a regular English program receives more in-catchment Kindergarten applicants than available space?

If a school receives more applications than available spaces, by January 31, a random draw will be held. Catchment students who apply within the early application period will be eligible for the draw. Catchment siblings who are attending the school and will be attending concurrently, will be placed prior to the draw.

What happens if I register my child after January 31st?

Applications received after January 31 will NOT be considered until all in-catchment students, who submitted an application prior to January 31, have been placed. Late applicants, including siblings of in-catchment students already enrolled in the school, will be added in time-dated order to the end of the school’s in-catchment waitlist.

When will families be notified about the results of the draw?

Parents should receive notification by email of their child’s status before the end of February

Does a family have to formally accept a position, and if so in what time frame?

Families will have 48 hours to confirm their acceptance of the space in Kindergarten.

What happens if my child is unsuccessful in the draw for a Kindergarten space at the catchment school?

Students not selected in the draw will be added to a waitlist. If space becomes available, the student next on the waitlist will be given the opportunity to return to the school. All students on the waitlist will be placed at another school by the district.

Can I apply cross-boundary to another school?

Parents may apply cross-boundary to another school. Schools accept cross-boundary applications from Feb 1 – Feb 28. Families who submit a cross-boundary application will be informed of their child’s status by March 31.

Families should visit their neighbourhood school and pick up a cross boundary application form.

If I am going to be moving to Vancouver, can I register for the Kindergarten catchment school where I intend to live?

You must be a resident in the catchment area at the time of application in order to apply as an in-catchment applicant.

My spouse and I are separated and arrangements have been made for our child to live with one parent on alternate days/weeks. Is my child entitled to complete an in-catchment registration at two different schools?

A student can only have one catchment school. Parents need to determine which school will be their catchment school.