The VSB and the team at the District Reception and Placement Centre have compiled the following brochures to assist parents with some general questions they may have about BC schools.
The following brochures are in English. To read brochures in Arabic, Chinese, Korean, French, Hindi, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog or Vietnamese go to multi-language brochure for elementary school students or multilingual brochures for secondary school students .
- District Support Staff
- Forms You May See in September - Elementary
- Forms You May See in September - Secondary
- Graduation Requirements in BC - Secondary
- Graduation Transitions - Grades 10, 11 & 12
- What Schools Expect from Parents and Students
- Who are the People in Your Child's School - Elementary
- Who are the People in Your Child's School - Secondary
- Considering a Tutor?
- Discipline at Home and School
- ESL Support Class - Why?
- Helping Your Child Acquire English Language Skills - Part 1
- Helping Your Child Acquire English Language Skills - Part 2
- Parent Advisory Council (PAC)
- Parent Involvement
- Ways You Can Support Your Child's Learning at Home
Study and Homework
- Student Agendas and Planners
- Study Tips
- Understanding Homework in BC Elementary Schools
- Understanding Homework in BC Secondary Schools
General Information on BC Schools
- Child Rights
- New Country; New School System
- Parent Questions and Answers
- School Act
- The Mandate of the BC School System
- Extracurricular Activities
- Fine Arts and PE
- Health and Career Education - Kindergarten to Grade 3
- Health and Career Education - Grades 4 to 7
- Health and Career Education - Grades 8 and 9 and Planning Grade10
- Play as Work - The Importance of Play in Children's Lives
- Talk- An Important Part of Learning
Back to school factsheets
The British Columbia Ministry of Education has assembled a number of back to school factsheets for parents and guardians. Follow the links to read the fact sheets.
As students and teachers head back to the classroom, here are some tips to help families prepare for the start of the new school year.
NOTE: Look for links to Chinese, French and Punjabi translations of these factsheets at the bottom of the factsheets.
- Back to school tips for healthy and active students (pdf)
- Back to school tips for a successful start to the school year (pdf)
- Back to school tips to improve studying, literacy (pdf)
- Tips for a successful start to the school year (pdf)