District assets are used first and foremost to provide elementary and secondary educational services. Child care programs will only be permitted to use School facilities as long as they do not negatively affect the operation of the K-12 programs. The Board may grant use of its school facilities for child care programs provided a fee is charged to recover operating costs.
The Vancouver School Board deals only with not-for-profit organizations, not private businesses. Not-for-profit organizations wishing to establish a child care program in a Vancouver school building or on school grounds must first contact the Planning and Facilities Department and receive various approvals before a rental agreement can be made. Please note that in some cases, a different type of agreement will be required.
The initial steps in the approval process are:
- The not-for-profit organization conducts a needs assessment to determine the demand for child care services in the area of interest.
- The organization approaches the principal to obtain his/her written support for the proposal.
- The organization contacts Rentals & Planning and Facilities to arrange a meeting to review applicable policies/procedures and define the next steps.
Once Planning and Facilities endorses the proposal, approvals from the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority (Community Care Facilities Licensing) and the City of Vancouver (development and building permits) will be required. Please note that the process to establish a child care program in a school facility therefore involves a minimum of four to 6 months.
NB: Proposed Childcare Costing Model presented to Committee II on May 4, 2010
Under a rental agreement, the cost to child care providers ranges from $1.80/hour to $11.00/hour depending on the size of the licensed capacity. Please note that cost recovery will be calculated differently if an agreement other than a rental is required.
- The maximum charge per day will be seven (7) hours
- These rates will apply throughout the year.
3. If heat is required it will be charged at:
a) $10.55/day for heat on regular school days
b) $26.30/day for heat on non-school days
4. During school breaks, groups will be charged for additional custodial services:
a) 1-40 children - 30min/day
b) 41+ children - 60 min/day
5. A basic rental fee of $20.10 per space per staff meeting will be charged for the use of school facilities after 6:00pm
6. Payment methods:
a) Payment in full, upon receipt of invoices
b) Ten post dated monthly cheques, upon receipt of invoice
Last updated: June 2009