When schools are being renovated or constructed, VBE takes special care in site safety to ensure that students and staff are safe and school disruption is minimized. VBE works with the school community to develop specific mitigation measures for each project.
Mitigation measures include traffic management, dust control, safety hoarding, and signage. Contact the school principal if you have any concerns regarding site safety.
INFORMATION ON VBE CONSTRUCTION STANDARDS & PRACTICES
VBE complies with all City of Vancouver bylaws and provincial health & safety regulations.
CONSTRUCTION SITE SAFETY TIPS FOR STUDENTS & PARENTS
- Do not enter active construction areas or areas that are secured with safety hoarding.
- Do not distract onsite contract workers.
- Immediately report any suspicious activity or children playing in construction zones to the school principal.
- Travel with caution and slow down when in construction zones. Be alert for construction workers, children, cyclists, pedestrians and heavy equipment.
- Allow plenty of time for possible driving delays.
- Follow posted signs that explain detours, lane closures and other changes in driving conditions. Remember that traffic fines are doubled in construction areas.
- Use extra caution in the evenings when its dark or during rainy weather.
- When possible, use public transportation, walk, cycle or carpool to reduce traffic congestion.
- Try to avoid construction zones during peak pick-up and drop-off times.
- Be patient. Remember that construction is a short-term inconvenience for a long-term benefit.