The Planning and Facilities Department is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of capital projects. This includes construction of new schools, major renovations of existing schools as well as working with the City of Vancouver in land acquisition and development of new schools.
Planning and Facilities is also responsible for:
- developing short and long range plans
- preparing and submitting the annual Long Range Facilities Plan and the annual 5 year Capital Plan to the Ministry of Education
- aligning educational programming needs with school space
- establishing district-wide educational facilities policies
- analyzing enrolment and development projections
- providing school traffic planning
The Interim Long Range Facility Plan (LRFP) has been developed and is in the process of public consultation.
Planning and Facilities is responsible for the planning, management and administration of capital projects within the District. These include new school construction and major renovations of existing facilities. more info
The capital projects in the provincial Seismic Mitigation Program are planned by VBE and implemented by the Vancouver Project Office. more info.
Enrolment projections are prepared under the mandate of the Director of Planning and are reviewed and updated annually.
The Ministry of Education funds school renovations, new construction and the Seismic Mitigation Program. The heritage value of schools is one of a number of criteria considered when a major capital project for a school is planned. In addition to the heritage component, other considerations include: the safety of the building, the life cycle costs of the building, the educational program requirements and the overall financial costs.
VSB Planning staff work closely with the Vancouver Police Department, the City of Vancouver, and the school community to maintain and enhance traffic safety around our schools. To reduce traffic congestion near the school communities, families are encouraged to walk or ride bikes to school.
Planning and Facilities Contact List
- Director of Facilities: Jim Meschino 604-713-5019 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical Resource Support: Lois Schack 604-713-5019 email@example.com
- Manager of Planning: Kelly Isford-Saxon 604-713-5193 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical Resource Support: Everin Low 604-713-5256 email@example.com
- Facilities Planner: Anne Lee 604-713-5744 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facilities Planner: Celene Fung 604-713-5194 email@example.com
- District Principal - Field Services: Chris Atkinson 604-713-4453 firstname.lastname@example.org