Born and raised in the UK, Janet Fraser was first elected to the Vancouver School Board in 2014 and re-elected in the 2017 by-election, as well as in October 2018.
Janet has lived in Canada for more than 25 years; 17 of which in the Marpole community where she is often seen walking the family dog. She holds a Bachelor of Science and PhD in chemistry from the University of Bristol. Janet was an organic chemistry researcher at the University of South Carolina and the University of British Columbia, and has worked as a chemist and project manager developing new antibiotic drugs. She is the co-inventor on US patents for new antibiotic drugs and worked with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on new drug applications. During her career, she was also program assistant with Westcoast Women in Engineering, Science and Technology – a non-profit that supports recruitment and retention of women in engineering, science and technology.
Janet is currently an at-home parent of three children who are students of Vancouver School District schools. She was an executive member of a Parent Advisory Council for 10 years and is a certified Safety Person for Hockey Canada.
Janet served as Chair of the Board in 2017-2018 and was elected by fellow trustees as Chair for the 2018-19 term, and has been re-elected as Chair for the 2019-20 term.
- Member of Policy and Governance Committee
- Member of Student Learning and Well-Being Committee
- Member of Audit Committee
School Liaison for:
- John Oliver Secondary family of schools (including VLN): Henderson, Mackenzie, Moberly, Trudeau
- Eric Hamber Secondary family of schools: Carr, Cavell, Fraser, Osler, Van Horne, Wolfe
- South Hill Education Centre
- BCSTA Provincial Council
- City of Vancouver - First Shaughnessy Advisory Design Panel
- City of Vancouver - Gastown Historic Area Planning Committee
- City of Vancouver - Persons with Disabilities Advisory Committee
- City of Vancouver - Seniors' Advisory Committee
- City of Vancouver - Urban Indigenous People's Advisory Committee
- Vancouver City Planning Commission (VCPC)