The Vancouver School Board is a large, urban and multicultural school district. We are committed to providing the highest quality learning experience for all students, helping them to reach their intellectual, social, and physical potential in a safe and inclusive environment.
We wish to acknowledge that we are on the shared traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples and acknowledge the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations... and for this we are thankful. It is with respectful consideration that the programs and services are provided to students and families to honour cultural protocols of these communities (click here to learn more about our Indigenous Education programs).
The Vancouver School District is among the most diverse public school systems in Canada with an annual enrolment of approximately 54,000 students in Kindergarten to grade 12. In addition, the Vancouver School District provides educational programs and services to full-time Adult Education students.
Our programs and services address the extraordinary and complex challenges associated with a diverse district. Our goal is to serve the needs and tap the potential of each of our students so that they may achieve their unique potential.
Vancouver schools are involved in a wide range of partnerships with cultural, arts, and service organizations. The district also offers a multitude of services and program options to meet student interests and needs.
To enable students to reach their intellectual, social, aesthetic and physical potential in challenging and stimulating settings which reflect the worth of each individual and promote mutual respect, cooperation and social responsibility.
- 29,000 Elementary students
- 26,000 Secondary students
- 1,500(FTE) Adult education students
- 1,410 Students in distributed learning programs
- 10,000+ Students take Summer school courses
- 25% of K-Grade 12 students are designated ESL
- 60% speak a language other than English at home
- 126 languages have been identified in our schools
- 7% of elementary and secondary students are special education learners
- 9% of elementary students are French Immersion learners
- 4% of secondary students are French Immersion learners
- 16% of students participate in a school meal program
- 2,000 students attend full day kindergarten
- 4% of secondary students are Indigenous learners
- 2000 self-identified Indigenous students representing 600 bands and nations attend Vancouver schools
- 92 Elementary schools, including 16 elementary annexes
- 2 Adult Education centres
- Distributed Learning School - Vancouver Learning Network. The program is located at John Oliver Secondary.
- District programs include early and late French Immersion (18), Intensive French, Mandarin Bilingual, Fine Arts, Indigenous Focus School, IB and Montessori
- 56 district programs connected to our secondary schools addressing a wide range of needs from remedial to enrichment
- 12 Community school teams