The Vancouver School Board is a large, urban and multicultural school district. We are committed to providing the highest quality learning experience for all students, helping them to reach their intellectual, social, and physical potential in a safe and inclusive environment.
We wish to acknowledge that we are on the shared traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples and acknowledge the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations; and for this we are thankful. It is with respectful consideration that the programs and services are provided to students and families to honour cultural protocols of these communities. Learn more about our Indigenous Education programs.
The Vancouver School District is among the most diverse public school systems in Canada with an annual enrolment of approximately 50,000 students in Kindergarten to grade 12. In addition, the Vancouver School District provides educational programs and services to full-time Adult Education students.
To enable students to reach their intellectual, social, aesthetic and physical potential in challenging and stimulating settings which reflect the worth of each individual and promote mutual respect, cooperation and social responsibility.
- 28,000 elementary students
- 19,000 secondary students
- 2,100 self-identified Indigenous students from nations located across Canada
- 1,300 international students
- 2,500 Adult Education students
- 2,500 students in distributed learning programs
- 5,000 French Immersion students
- 10,000 students take summer school courses
- 44% speak a language other than English at home
- 140 languages have been identified in our schools
- 2,200 daily meals are served to students in school meal programs
- 89 elementary schools including 11 annexes
- 18 secondary schools
- 1 Vancouver Alternate Secondary School (VASS)
- 1 Adult Education school
- 1 distributed learning school (Vancouver Learning Network)
Our programs and services
- District programs include Early and Late French Immersion, Intensive French, Mandarin Bilingual, Fine Arts, Indigenous Focus School, International Baccalaureate and Montessori
- Learning Services Support programs address a wide range of needs from remedial to enrichment
- 12 Community School Teams
Our programs and services address the extraordinary and complex challenges associated with a diverse district. Our goal is to serve the needs and tap the potential of each of our students so that they may achieve their unique potential.
Vancouver schools are involved in a wide range of partnerships with cultural, arts, and service organizations. The district also offers a multitude of services and program options to meet student interests and needs.