Environmental Sustainability Plan
At the May 28, 2018 VSB Board meeting, the Board of Trustees approved the District's first ever Environmental Sustainability Plan. If you have any questions, comments, or ideas about the plan, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like copies of the poster to post at your school or work site, please send a request to email@example.com.
Download the VSB Sustainability Plan Poster
Secondary School Sustainability Grants Now Available!
To celebrate the launch of the VSB’s Environmental Sustainability Plan, we want to encourage students to take on a sustainability project that they are passionate about. Each VSB secondary school is eligible to receive a grant of up to $1000 towards a student-led sustainability initiative! Applications are due December 21, 2018.
Previous successful projects have included:
- Installing water bottle filling stations
- Getting reusable trays and utensils for the school cafeteria
- Creating or expanding a school garden
- Conducting a waste audit
- Organizing a speaker series
- Meatless lunches
- And more!
Get creative and think about how you can improve sustainability in your school or the wider community.
Eligibility to Apply:
- Open to all VSB secondary schools
- Limit of 1 application per school
- Teams must have more than 1 student participant
- Projects must have a sustainability focus
- Applications must have a teacher/staff sponsor AND an administrator’s signature
How to Apply:
- Fill out the application form
- Get your Principal or Vice Principal’s signature
- Submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 21, 2018
Successful applicants will be notified by mid-January 2019. Apply now!
Advancing Sustainability at the VSB
VSB Teachers, students, parents, and staff have been advancing the sustainability of their schools for many years. This has included projects that increase energy efficiency, create gardens and outdoor learning opportunities, and promote active transportation.
In recent years, the Board has encouraged a more comprehensive approach. This includes:
- The 2010 adoption of the VSB's first Sustainability Framework
- The 2013/14 Sustainability Audit to evaluate the progress of sustainability in the district:
- The development of a multi-year Environmental Sustainability Plan, which includes input from all levels of the VSB community. Contact us at email@example.com for more information.