Item Details
www

​Seismically safer schools for students of Selkirk, Weir and Byng

| Categories: Schools & Students, School & Student News, Newsletters, News & Advisories

image description

In February 2019, the Ministry of Education announced funding for not one but three schools in the Vancouver School District for the necessary seismic work to make them safer in the event of an earthquake.

Lord Selkirk Elementary, Dr. George M. Weir Elementary and Lord Byng Secondary schools were selected because the facilities were built at least half a century ago, and although the schools have served Vancouver students and the neighbouring community well throughout the years, they are at high seismic risk and no longer meet current seismic standards.

Approved work for each school includes:

Building B of Selkirk Elementary will be upgraded to be seismically safe. The remaining buildings at Selkirk have either been previously seismically upgraded or are seismically safe. The heritage design of the building undergoing seismic upgrade will be retained. Construction is expected to begin in early 2020 and to be completed in summer 2021.

Funding approved for Weir Elementary see the ajority (75 per cent) of school replaced, which consists of classrooms, the gymnasium and the library. The remaining 25 per cent of the building was built in 2000 and does not require seismic upgrades. Construction is expected to begin in spring 2020 and to be completed in late 2021.

Byng Secondary will see the school's workshop, gymnasium, cafeteria and auditorium upgraded. Construction is expected to begin in summer 2019 and to be completed in summer 2021.

The District will host information sessions at each school undergoing seismic work during the first week of April. Members of the school communities are encouraged to attend the information sessions to learn more about each project, what work will be completed, when and potential impacts to students. Attendees will also have the opportunity to speak to District staff who can help answer questions they may have about the projects. Below is a list of the times and dates of each information session.


Selkirk Elementary

Seismic Upgrade Project

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

3:30pm - 6:30pm

(Gymnasium)


Weir Elementary

Seismic Partial Replacement Project

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

3:30pm - 6:30pm

(Gymnasium)


Byng Secondary

Seismic Upgrade Project

Thursday, April 4, 2019

3:30pm - 6:30pm

(Byng Gallery)

Back to top