Renewing Stratchona Elementary School - Neighbouhood Centres of Learning and Development Project
A community display was set up in lobby area of the Strathcona Community Centre for the public to learn about ideas for the future renewal of Stratchona Elementary School. Project team members were on site on December 2 and 3 from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm to answer questions. The display will remain in the lobby until December 11.
The purpose of the community display was to:
- Introduce the Neighbourhood Centre of Learning and Development Project;
- Present 21st Century Learning and School Design Principles;
- Identify key Project Planning Principles;
- Obtain feedback on the proposed core school program areas, construction phasing, and building retention; and
- Provide an overview of the timeline moving forward.
The next steps in the process involve reaching agreement on the proposed core school area and proceeding with architectural design analysis to begin exploring design concepts for the school.
Background on Neighbourhood Centres of Learning and Development (NCLD) Projects:
As part of the Provincial Seismic Mitigation Program, the NCLD Project was announced in September 2008 to optimize the use of renewed school facilities. Queen Mary Elementary, General Gordon Elementary and Lord Strathcona Elementary will undergo seismic renewal that will include services on site that will benefit students and the community. The Ministry will provide additional space as part of the capital project to accommodate NCLD services. NCLD agency partners are expected to provide their own operational funds and are encouraged to contribute capital funding where possible to provide enhanced community facilities.
In Spring 2009, VSB brought together the school communities and local and provincial agencies to develop a future Vision for each of the three schools. Through this session, participants were given an opportunity to discuss potential synergies between the potential NCLD agencies and school to see how they might work together in a renewed school. The Vision is a starting point for planning for a renewed school.
1. Community Display Boards
2. Lord Strathcona Community Display Comment Form
Please return the comment form by fax/email to Brook & Associates by December 11, 2009
Fax: 604 731-9075
2. Lord Strathcona Visioning Session
3. Ministry of Education website for background info on the NCLD Project.