It was good news for the Kitsilano Secondary community on December 14 when Vancouver school board trustees approved the capital project bylaw for the school's replacement and renovation.
The preferred seismic renewal option is estimated at $65 million and will have capacity for 1,500 students. It is anticipated that the Minister of Education will confirm the project agreement in early 2011.
Illustrations of Kitsilano Secondary seismic renewal project.
The design concept includes:
- Total area of 17, 982 square metres.
- New classroom configurations with a central commons area which is open and sunlit. An adjacent gym will bring additional activity to the commons area.
- Heritage features including floor-to-floor heights, exterior glazing and elevations facing Trafalgar, West 10th Ave and Larch St. will be retained.
- Space is provided for educational and community use, including a gym which can be divided into three segments, weight room, exercise studio and three multi-purpose rooms.
- A small all-weather field is a major open space feature and will be connected to the neighbouring Kitsilano Community Centre.
- The library has windows and direct access to the courtyard
- New underground parking
Illustration of Kitsilano Secondary seismic renewal project.
For updates go to the Kitsilano Secondary renewal project page