Children attend Kindergarten in the same year that they turn five years old.
The first step for everyone is to register with your neighbourhood English catchment school– regardless of whether you plan to send your child there.
- November 1 to the last weekday of January is the deadline for priority enrolment for children attending Kindergarten for the following September.
- Note: Sibling Priority for Kindergarten admission is only provided to students who register between November 1 - January 31. Sibling priority is not provided after January 31.
- January 13 to February 4 is the Choice Application process.
- February 1 - February 28 is the period for Cross Boundary Application.
If your child was born in Canada, complete the online form, before bringing in your supporting documents.
Step 1: Complete an online application form
Step 2: Bring supporting documentation, along with your child, to your neighbourhood English catchment school
The following original documents must be presented at your catchment school to complete your application:
- Proof of British Columbia residency
- The original birth certificate of the child
- Applicable Immigration/Citizenship/Permanent Resident Documentation
- Immunization Records if available
[Note: Some schools may request additional identification as proof of residency.]
If your child was born outside of Canada, you will need to go to the VSB District - Newcomer Welcome Centre and complete the initial registration there.
NOTE: Some English catchment schools do not have space for all catchment students even if you apply before the January 31 deadline. In these cases there will be a draw for student placement in the first several months of the new year and the school will contact you.
For more information about the following, please click the appropriate link.
Find out more by reading our frequently asked questions
Please refer to Administrative Procedure 300 (Admission of Students to School and School Choice) for more details about enrolment procedures.
I want to apply for a choice program:
Parents must register at their neighbourhood English catchment school from November to end of January before applying for Kindergarten Choice programs.
Please visit the Kindergarten Choice Programs page for more information.
Where can I get more information or help if I run into any difficulties?
If you have any questions or need additional information about the application processes, you can check out our frequently asked questions.
As always, for assistance with the application process, or the online choice program application process, you can contact your neighbourhood English catchment school. They will be happy to assist you.
How do I prepare my child for kindergarten?
View our brochure, Preparing for Kindergarten, Building Confident Learners