Children attend Kindergarten in the same year that they turn five years old.
The first step for everyone is to register with your neighbourhood English catchment school– regardless of whether you plan to send your child there.
- November 1 to the last weekday of January is the deadline for priority enrollment for children attending Kindergarten in the following September.
- January 15th to the first week in February is the Choice Application process.
- February 1 - February 28th is the period for Cross Boundary Application.
If your child was born in Canada, complete the online form, before bringing in your supporting documents.
Applications are a 2 Step Process:
- Complete the application form online
- Bring Supporting Documentation along with your child to your neighbourhood English catchment school.
The following original documents must be presented at your catchment school to complete your application:
- Proof of British Columbia residency
- The original birth certificate of the child
- Applicable Immigration/Citizenship/Permanent Resident Documentation
- Immunization Records if available
If your child was born outside of Canada, you will need to go to the VSB District Reception and Placement Centre (DRPC) and complete the initial registration there.
NOTE: Some English catchment schools do not have space for all the catchment students. In these cases there will be a draw for student placement in the first several months of the new year and the school will contact you.
For more information about the following, please click the appropriate link.
Find out more by reading our frequently asked questions
I want to apply for a choice program:
Parents must register at their neighbourhood English catchment school from November to end of January before applying for Kindergarten Choice programs.
Please visit the Kindergarten Choice Programs page for more information.
Where can I get more information or help if I run into any difficulties?
If you have any questions or need additional information about this process, you can check out our frequently asked questions.
As always, for assistance with the registration process or the online choice program application process, you can contact your neighbourhood English catchment school. They will be happy to assist you.
How do I prepare my child for kindergarten?
View our brochure, Preparing for Kindergarten, Building Confident Learners