Graduation from Adult Education Programs

The Vancouver Board of Education currently operates two Adult Education Centres open to youth 16 years of age and older. Students must be 16 years of age as of July 1st of the current school year. These Centres provide educational opportunities ranging from beginning literacy to secondary school completion.

The emphasis of the Adult Education Centres is on providing flexible and accessible programs. Students can enroll on an ongoing basis and programs are designed and adjusted to meet individual learning needs. Students whose educational background requires Special Education assistance are not suitable for the programs as support services available throughout the K-12 system are not available in Adult Education.

To register, all potential students are required to meet with the instructor or a designated Youth Program Advisor.  A referral from a counsellor or administrator and completion of an English and Math assessment are required for acceptance.

Graduation Options

A 2004 Graduation Program (Dogwood) is required for students who have entered grade 10 for the first time since 2004.  Students must acquire 80 credits at the grade 10, 11 and 12 levels and required to write five graduation program exams.  Graduation program exams are mandatory for every course in the following subject areas:  Language Arts 10, Science 10, Mathematics 10, Social Studies 11or Civics 11 or B.C. First Nations Studies 12 and Language Arts 12.  Please refer to page iv “At a Glance Requirements – What You Need to Graduate” or visit www.bced.gov.bc.ca/graduation/grad2004.htm

 The Adult Graduation Program (Adult Dogwood) is open to students who are 19 or older or in a few cases who are 18 with exceptional circumstances.  This program requires a student to successfully complete 20 credits that must include English or Communications 12 and a Math 11. To be eligible for the adult Dogwood, the student must take at least three of their courses leading towards graduation as an adult (19 years of age or older).

 The School Completion Certificate Program is open to students for whom the other graduation options are not academically realistic.  In order to receive a School Completion Certificate, a student must complete the goals of their Individual Education Plan (IEP) which includes academic, personal, pre-employment and career components.

What you need to graduate with a Dogwood

Back to top