Gifted/Challenge Summer program
Dates: July 9-27, 2018 (M-F, 3 weeks)
Time: Session 1 - 9:00 to 11:40 a.m.; Session 2 - 12:20 to 3:00 p.m.
(There will be a supervised lunch period from 11:40-12:20 for students staying for a full day of instruction. Students are encouraged to bring their lunch and eat downstairs in the lunch room or outside. There will also be playground/outside supervision provided for 15 minutes prior to classes commencing in the morning.)
Location: Van Horne Elementary (5855 Ontario St.)
**Please direct all enquires by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Do not call the school board or Summer School Program, they will not have answers for you.)
Registrations will be considered only by online application to the program at the link below.
Please read the following before applying:
1. Course Information - Students who apply for courses at the elementary level will only be admitted in one Ministry Funded course and must register in their current grade level.
2. Fee Information - For Non International students currently attending a BC school who can present a PEN, Home School report card and birth date, there are no course fees - the Vancouver School Board is not charging a commitment fee this year. Out-of-Province / International student fees - See Student Status and Fee Information.
a) In addition, the program will also provide courses that do not meet Prescribed Learning Outcomes and will be available with a fee. Students can take one funded course and one fee-paying course OR two fee-paying courses.
b) For students who are not eligible for tuition-free or sign up for fee-paying courses, payment must be made at registration.
3. Withdrawals/Transfers Policy -
- Ministry Funded course:
If you are not able to attend a course that you have registered in, you must immediately contact our summer school office to withdraw from the course.
- Fee-Paying course:
A $30 administrative fee will be charged for all withdrawals or transfers from a course for any reason. No tuition refund will be issued after the prograrm has started.
- International Student / Out-of-Province Student:
No tuition refund will be issued for withdrawal for any reason once registered. A $100 administrative transfer fee will be charged for transferring from one class to another if space is available.
4. Absences - Students who miss more than 2 days may NOT BE PERMITTED to continue taking the course, AND may be withdrawn from the course. For students who are late for 20 minutes or more for 3 times, this will count as one absence.
5. Report Card/ID - All students must present their ORIGINAL home school report card by second day of class in order to stay in class. Photocopies are not acceptable.
6. Reserve of Right - If registration does not meet the required minimums, we reserve the right to cancel courses.
7. Close of Registration – Applications will be accepted up to Friday, April 27, 2018. Only if space is available will applications be accepted after this date.
8. Application Process - The Application process consists of completing an online information form and uploading a copy of the applicant's most recent report card (if Term 2 reports are unavailable at the time of application please use Term 1). Please also upload all additional resource, ELL, Gifted, IEP or Ministry of Education designation documentation. The system can handle multiple uploads and support the format: DOC, DOCX, JPG, PDF, PNG, SWF, XLS, XLSX. The total size of uploaded documents is restricted to 2000 KB. Applicants will also be asked to provide the PEN (Personal Education Number) of the applying student. Please note the following:
Applications are processed in the order they are received and all applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application when it has been processed. Due to the large number of applications received and the required processing time for each, it may be some time before your application is processed. If you have not received further correspondence your application has not yet been processed. Thank you for your patience.
Gifted Courses Description 2018 Program - (4 new course descriptions were added on Tuesday, Feb. 27)
On-line application ONLY. Click this link and complete the 'Online application form'. (This link has been opened on March 1, at 12 noon and will be closed on June 1, at 3 p.m.)
Summer School - Student Status and Fee Information
British Columbia Students
Unless otherwise noted, the Ministry of Education will fund all students who have a BC issued Personal Education Number (PEN), and are accepted into the Summer School program.
Exceptions - Students who are classified as International pay the International fee.
The BC Ministry of Education requires a valid BC issued Personal Education Number (PEN) to fund summer school students. However, students currently attending BC or Canadian schools who are designated as International Students are required to pay International fees.
Additional, the following students are required to pay International fee for Summer School:
- Students who reside in BC but whose parents do not normally reside in BC
- Students who do not normally reside in BC, even if their parents reside in BC
Please refer to http://www.gov.bc.ca/bced and follow the links to Section 82 of the School Act.
Out of Province Students
The BC Ministry of Education requires a valid BC issued Personal Education Number (PEN) to fund summer school students. However, students currently attending BC or Canadian schools who are designated as International Students are required to pay International fees
40-hour course $900
Out of Province Fees:
40-hour course $600