The Social Emotional Learning Centre (SELC) provides support for elementary students to acquire social, emotional and behavioural skills. The centre provides a short term (approximately one term) part-time opportunity for students to learn strategies for self-regulation, social skills, executive functioning and self-advocacy that they can utilize back in their home school environment. Students maintain daily connections with their home school so that they are able to utilize their new skill set when they return to their classroom.
The school team, including the classroom Teacher, must be committed to attending monthly sessions. These are designed to build capacity in the home school regarding social emotional learning (e.g. Administrator, Counsellor, Resource Teacher).
Students are appropriate for placement in this program when :
- student has struggled with the acquisition of skills in the area of social emotional learning
- additional support has been provided by school based staff (e.g. Area Counsellor)
- student requires interventions beyond the schools resources
- have not responded to Tier 1 and 2 interventions that have been implemented
- consultation with the Case Manger for Behaviour
All applications to the Social Emotional Learning Centre (SELC) must be submitted to the Case Manager for Behaviour.
Placement is for approximately 16 weeks. Student returns to full time placement in their home school.
Capacity and Staffing
Maximum 10 students
Grades 1 to 2
Grades 3 to 4
1 Teacher, 1 SSA and 1 SSB