District Gifted Outreach Programs
Challenge Centre Program
A range of Challenge Centre pull-in programs are available for students in grades 1-7. Programs range from 2-4 days. A Challenge Centre candidate demonstrates a need for further enrichment beyond the enriched and/or differentiated classroom.
These programs offer an opportunity for highly able students to:
- work in a fast-paced environment in a topic or area of curricular interest with other like-minded students.
- Think critically, creatively, and flexibly
- Develop higher level thinking and communication skills
- Experience Project and Problem-Based Learning, curricular extensions, and meta-cognitive experiences.
Examples of Challenge Centres include but are not limited to:
- Narrative WritingDi
- Poetic Picassos
- Awesome Authors
- Global Citizenship
- Physics for Kids
- Chemistry for Kids
- Exploring the Universe
- Stop-Motion Animation
- Deliberate Debaters
- Math in the Real World
The Seminar Program
A range of Seminar pull-in programs are available for students in grades 4-7. Programs range from 6-10 days. A seminar candidate will have a gifted designation and/or demonstrates a need for significant enrichment and rigor
These programs offer an opportunity for extremely able and passionate students to:
- Work with their intellectual peers on an on-going basis
- Use higher-level thinking and in-depth analysis skills
- Explore topics of interest with activities and projects
- Participate in Project and Problem-Based Learning
Examples of Seminars include but are not limited to:
- Playwriting and Acting
- Math Explorations
- Model U.N.
- Young Writers
Students in seminar program must be able to manage time effectively and keep up with regular school work.
Please note Gifted Outreach Programs are School-Based Team referrals. Please consult with your child’s classroom teacher for more information.