This district class provides academic challenge and social-emotional support for highly gifted elementary students through an intellectual peer group and conceptually advanced curriculum. Students participate in an interdisciplinary program designed to challenge and develop the depth and breadth of the student’s critical and creative thinking abilities utilizing a diverse range of higher level thinking models. Reflection on individual learning style, social emotional development and the nature of excellence and group dynamic are integral parts of the curriculum. Defining personal interests and individual goals and demonstrating a personal work ethic are important aspects of the classroom experience.
Grade 4-6 students will be considered for the class based on academic achievement, skill development, cognitive abilities, intellectual interests, creativity, and emotional maturity. Minimum criteria typically include:
- meets criteria to receive a P (Gifted) designation
- reading and mathematics skills two or more grades above grade level
- two plus standard deviations above the mean on cognitive ability test
- demonstrated ability to focus on tasks, enjoyment of complexity and marked motivation to learn quickly and to learn advanced level material. Students can expect to work with intermediate level curriculum
- autonomous, self-motivated learners
Please note: students requiring remedial resource support or with significant behaviour challenges are NOT considered appropriate for MACC programming
MACC program referrals must be submitted to Learning Services. Intake occurs once a year in September as students are identified and space is available. VSB students wanting to apply, please contact the school Resource Teacher and for external applications please contact DRT - Gifted Education (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Students are reviewed on a regular basis and if a change in placement is recommended a referral is submitted to Learning Services.
Capacity and Staffing
Grades 4 to 7
Kerrisdale Elementary (French Immersion) Gr. 5 / 6 / 7
Osler Elementary Gr. 4 / 5 and 6 / 7
Tecumseh Elementary Gr. 5 / 6 / 7