The Elementary Learning Support Programs provide diagnostic and prescriptive teaching for students identified as learning disabled. The goal of the program is to assist students with specific academic areas of weakness by developing learning strategies, social awareness and improving self-esteem. The students may be included in regular age-appropriate classes for physical education, art, music and academic subjects whenever possible and appropriate.
Students are appropriate for placement in this program when:
- they meet the Ministry criteria for Learning Disabilities (Q)
- their academic skills are 2 years or more delayed
- they require intervention beyond the school’s resources
- their deficits are NOT primarily resulting from factors such as:
- sensory or motor impairments
- intellectual impairment
- lack of opportunity to learn
Referral to the Learning Support Programs are to be submitted to the Case Manager for Learning Support.
Capacity and Staffing
- Grades 4 to 7
- 15 students
- 1 Teacher and .5 SSA
Queen Elizabeth Elementary
Kingsford Smith Elementary