District Gifted Outreach Programs
Challenge Centre Program
A range of Challenge Centre pull-in programs are available for students in grades 1-7. Programs range from 2-4 days. A Challenge Centre candidate demonstrates a need for further enrichment beyond the enriched and/or differentiated classroom.
These programs offer an opportunity for highly able students to:
- work in a fast-paced environment in a topic or area of curricular interest with other like-minded students.
- Think critically, creatively, and flexibly
- Develop higher level thinking and communication skills
- Experience Project and Problem-Based Learning, curricular extensions, and meta-cognitive experiences.
Examples of Challenge Centres include but are not limited to:
• Narrative WritingDi
• Poetic Picassos
• Awesome Authors
• Global Citizenship
• Physics for Kids
• Chemistry for Kids
• Exploring the Universe
• Stop-Motion Animation
• Deliberate Debaters
• Math in the Real World
The Seminar Program
A range of Seminar pull-in programs are available for students in grades 4-7. Programs range from 6-10 days. A seminar candidate will have a gifted designation and/or demonstrates a need for significant enrichment and rigor
These programs offer an opportunity for extremely able and passionate students to:
• Work with their intellectual peers on an on-going basis
• Use higher-level thinking and in-depth analysis skills
• Explore topics of interest with activities and projects
• Participate in Project and Problem-Based Learning
Examples of Seminars include but are not limited to:
• Playwriting and Acting
• Math Explorations
• Model U.N.
• Young Writers
Students in seminar program must be able to manage time effectively and keep up with regular school work. Please note Gifted Outreach Programs are School-Based Team referrals. Please consult with your child’s classroom teacher for more information.