The Transition Team offers 2 programs at this time for students in their final year of high school.
GPS-Gateway to Post-Secondary
GPS is a part time course that will commence each year in January and run for 15 weeks. It is a partnership with Vancouver Community College (VCC) and the VSB. This course is designed to support successful transitions from secondary school, encourage access into the post-secondary system, and increase success for this group of learners. Students will attend the course at the downtown campus of VCC 3 days a week, and return to their high school for the remainder of the week. The course is comprised of both classroom activities and supported fieldwork. A 2 week independent employment practicum is part of the program. Employment practicums will be facilitated and supervised by the VSB transition team.
- GTE-Gateway to Employment
- Students participate in an unpaid work experience from September-December, 3 days a week for 4 hours each day. Two days a week, students explore social and recreational connections through a community connector (BACI) and Vancouver Parks and Rec. VSB partners with an adult employment service agency- (BEST) to provide job coaching and supervision during work experience, support the transition to paid employment, and facilitate community connections. Intake for applications will begin in the late fall of each year.
- Students are appropriate for placement in this program when they:
- meet the Ministry criteria for a “Low-Incidence” Designation, category A-G and K
- are able to travel independently in the community
- are in their final year of high school
- can manage their medical and self-regulation needs independently or with consultative support
- have completed at least 1 successful independent work experience
Referrals must be submitted to the District Resource Teacher for Secondary Transition. There will be parent/student information meetings in the late Fall of each year and application packages will be given out at the meeting. Students are accepted based on meeting criteria and on a first come first served basis.
Capacity and Staffing
1 Teacher (case manager)
1 Work Experience Facilitator
10 students per program
GPS- part time at VCC
GTE-Community based (registered at Tupper-will not attend Tupper) VLN