The Secondary Learning Assistance/Life Skills (LA/LS) Programs are designed for students with Mild to Moderate Intellectual Disabilities. All aspects of the curriculum are modified. The students earn an Evergreen certificate upon school leaving.
- personal independence and decision making skills
- developing skills for social relationships
- improving functional academic skills
- community awareness
- work experience
- transition to post-secondary options
- meet Ministry criteria for Mild/Moderate Intellectual Disabilities
- designations can include categories "C", "D", "G" and "K"
Learning Assistance/Life Skills referrals are to be submitted to the District Case Manager, Inclusion.
- completed “Request for Designation &/or Special Education Program Placement” form
- completed “Pre-Referral Intervention Strategies” (PRIS) form
- Psycho-Educational Assessment
- Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Speech Language Assessment (if available)
- School-Based Team minutes
- Needs Assessment
Student placement is reviewed every spring with the goal of returning students to their home schools. A transition plan between the LA/LS program staff and the receiving school is developed.
Capacity and Staffing
Grades 8 to 12
1 Teacher and 2 SSAs
Britannia Lord Byng
Eric Hamber Gladstone
John Oliver Killarney
Magee Point Grey