EEAE: Student Transportation In Private Vehicles

E: Support Services

The Board of School Trustees (the “Board”) recognizes the occasional need for transporting students in privately-owned vehicles.  To safeguard the district, employees, parents, and students in matters of liability, the Board will arrange for excess third-party liability insurance for teachers, parents, officers of the Board, or volunteers while transporting students in their own vehicles in the course of a school-related activity, provided such use is authorized by the Board or persons delegated by the Board. 

Persons who wish to have this coverage must be approved by the principal or his/her designate on an annual basis, and this can be obtained by having the owner of the vehicle complete a form and submit it to the school.  After the principal or his/her designate has signed the form, a copy will be kept on file in the school as proof of coverage; the other copy should be given to the driver.  It should be suggested to the owners/driver that they read the form; if they have any doubts about the provisions, they should see their insurance agent. 

All schools should ensure that the use of student drivers on school outings is restricted and that public transportation is used whenever possible. 

Note: "Occasional" use is interpreted to mean no more than six times per month. See policy EEAE-E - Student Transportation in Private Vehicles - Exhibit of Form.

DMT Responsibility: ST


Cross References: 
EEAD: Special Use of School Buses; EIB: Liability Insurance; IICA: Field Studies
Adopted Date: 
Monday November 19, 1979
Revision Date: 
Sep 1994
Jan 1999