JHCCB-E-5: Strategies in Prevention and Management of Anaphylaxis in the School Setting

J: Students



 Dear Parents/Guardians:

“Mary Smith”, a student at our school in “Ms. Smith’s” Grade      Class, has a severe life-threatening allergy to “peanuts and peanut products”. Exposure to even a minute amount of the food substance could cause anaphylactic shock and, without immediate emergency medical assistance, loss of consciousness and death.

 We are requesting that parents avoid including “peanuts and peanut products” in lunches or snacks. The most minute amount of “peanut butter” on a friend’s hand could be transferred to a volleyball or skipping rope.  Therefore, protection of the anaphylactic child requires the school to establish guidelines for all food products, not only those directly consumed by the anaphylactic student. Information on school lunch ideas is attached; a number of alternatives to “peanut butter” sandwiches are suggested.

Please discourage your child from sharing any food, knives, forks, spoons, and food containers with “Mary Smith”. We encourage all students to get in the habit of washing their hands before and after eating. Teasing can become a problem in such situations, and we ask all parents to discourage this hurtful practice.

The school has established an emergency plan for the student. Our objectives are to establish and maintain, to the extent possible:

  • classrooms attended by the student,  and the lunchroom, that are free of any substances that place the student at risk of anaphylactic shock;
  • school practices that reduce the possibility of exposure to substances that cause anaphylactic shock (e.g., hand-washing routines); and
  • school buses that are free of substances that could place an allergic student at risk.

Our teachers will be discussing the above points with students in “Mary Smith’s” classes, and we hope that parents will reinforce them at home with their children. While this request may pose an inconvenience for you when packing your child’s snack and lunch, I wish to thank you for your support and understanding of this potentially life-threatening allergy. Please feel free to contact me with any comments or questions.



Signed: Principal