JHCCB-E-9: Strategies in Prevention and Management of Anaphylaxis in the School Setting

J: Students



Food is the most common trigger of an anaphylactic reaction in school children, and the only allergen that schools can reasonably be expected to monitor. The school cannot take responsibility for possible exposure to bees, hornets, wasps, and yellow-jackets, but certain precautions can be taken by the student and the school to reduce the risk of exposure.

  • Loose hanging clothes, floral patterns, blue and yellow clothing, and fragrances are to be avoided.
  • The presence of bees and wasps, especially nesting areas, should be determined and removal arranged.
  • If soft drinks are consumed outdoors, cups are used; cans are deposited in a covered container.
  • The garbage is properly covered.
  • Children are cautioned not to throw sticks or stones at insect nests.
  • Students who are anaphylactic to insect stings are allowed to remain indoors for recess and lunch during bee/wasp season. Assigning phone monitor duties may be desirable.
  • A child with an allergy to insect venom is immediately removed from the room or vehicle if a bee or wasp gets in.

In case of insect stings, the insect should not be slapped or brushed off.  The stinger is never pinched if the child is stung; instead, the stinger should be flicked out with a fingernail or credit card.

DMT Responsibility: AS-HR