Carnarvon School opened in September 1966; it was known as Trafalgar Annex from 1955-66. In 1974, the Vancouver School Board approved Carnarvon's application to become one of six original comprehensive community schools with provisions for a coordinator and secretary. The Programs Office offers a variety of programs and services that reflect the needs of the community and student population. A separate building for our daycare and pre-school programs was added in 1998 and the large adventure playground was rebuilt at that time.
Carnarvon is a one-level building that is wheelchair accessible and home to approximately 375 students. About 10% of our students are acquiring English as their second language. The library, computer lab and all classrooms have access to the Internet.
Our staff values the uniqueness of each child and encourages the development of positive self-concept, social responsibility and competency in the basic skills. We stress safety, respect and accountability.