A bit of history
What do King Tut and Carnarvon Community School have in common?
Trafalgar Annex was officially opened on April 27th, 1955, to provide educational facilities for children in grades 1 – 3. In September 1966, following a major renovation, the annex was re-opened as Carnarvon School, to serve grades K through 7. Like nearby Carnarvon Street, the school’s name commemorates His Lordship the 4th Earl of Carnarvon. Lord Carnarvon introduced the bill for the 1867 British North America Act, which would define Canada as we know it today. The 5th Earl of Carnarvon, (Lord Carnarvon’s only son), provided financing for the 1922 expedition which led to the discovery of King Tut’s tomb!
In 1974, the Vancouver School Board approved Carnarvon for Community School status, with provisions for a coordinator and secretary. In May of 1979, the Community School Advisory Council was registered as a Society. Many successful community initiatives took place at Carnarvon in subsequent years.
In September 2004, funding for the Community Programs Office at Carnarvon was eliminated, resulting in the transfer of many traditional activities to the coordination of the Parent Advisory Council.