Maquinna Elementary School was officially opened in 1953 as Nelson Annex. It was the Annex to Lord Nelson Elementary School. In 1968 it was re-named Maquinna Elementary School and was followed by its own annex - Maquinna Annex in 1968. The schools were located close to Renfrew Street in East Vancouver. Maquinna Annex closed in 2016 and is currently leased by the Conseil Scolaire Francophone and operates as École Anne Hébert.