MacCorkindale is proud to be a neighbourhood school
serving the community and its families for over 40 years.
Dr. H.N. MacCorkindale Elementary was constructed in 1967 as the first Open
Area school in British Columbia using the guiding principle of collaborative
team teaching, which means that three to four staff work in close proximity in a
given Area sharing space, curricular resources and students. The school is named
after Dr. Hugh Neil MacCorkindale, Superintendent of Schools from 1933 to
MacCorkindale has three Open Areas (A, B, and C - Area D was closed in
2013) with it's built in resource centres, a Library, Gym, music/band room, as
well as an enclosed Kindergarten room. In 2011, Area C was renovated for 21st
Century learning. The school is equipped with computers and mobile devices, such
as iPads, for student use to access the Internet and work towards problem and
project based learning. There are two beautifully landscaped enclosed
courtyards, spacious grounds offering open fields, and a variety of recently
renovated adventure playground equipment.
The school has approximately 25 teaching and support staff serving
almost 200 students ranging from Kindergarten to Grade 7.
The students reflect the multi-ethnic nature of the community with almost
ten different languages spoken at the school.