Flexible Instructional Time (FIT)
The Ministry of Education has stated in its Education Plan that “students benefit from more flexibility and choice of how, when, and where their learning takes place. “
What is FIT?
Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year, all VSB secondary schools will adopt a schedule that provides students with a 50-minute block of Flexible Instructional Time (FIT) twice per week (on Tuesdays and Thursdays).
Flexible = the student will usually choose the type of learning activity that they would like to be a part of. As such, this may not be supervised time for students.
Examples of how FIT time can be used:
- Enrichment and learning support for individuals and small groups with the help of a teacher. In this case students would go to see a teacher for support in their classroom during this time.
- Help with a homework question they did not understand
- Questions surrounding a project
- Working on an art project…a piece of dance choreography…physics questions
- Meeting with a counsellor
- Collaborating and working with other students on an aspect of a course
- working on a project or assignment together in a classroom or in the library/cafeteria
- playing a game in the gym together
- Working on their own
- Grade-wide activities may require student attendance such as assemblies, self-reporting of core competencies, and Career Education.
Why? What is the purpose of FIT?
- The Ministry of Education has stated in its Education Plan that “students benefit from more flexibility and choice of how, when, and where their learning takes place. This will become increasingly important as B.C. takes a more inclusive approach to education, ensuring all students – regardless of ability or background – benefit from a learning environment tailored to maximize their potential.”
- It allows a student to center in on what is happening for them in their learning at that time.
- It allows students to enjoy greater academic success by taking a more pro-active role in their learning.
- It provides them with 50 minutes of time to access curricula, teachers, peers and facilities.
- FIT Time allows students to determine their priorities for learning and to act on these in a timely fashion.