This week is a week to reflect on, and to take action on, Reconciliation.
Please note, the Reconciliation Walk originally scheduled for Wednesday in 1.3 is most likely rescheduled to Friday in 1.3 due to the heavy rainfall forecast. Should this forecast change significantly by Wednesday morning, and the rain does not come, we will reconsider this postponement – watch out for an email to teachers on Wednesday morning. However, based on the current forecast (50-75mm of rain Wednesday!), Friday is looking by far the most likely day for the walk.
Shape of this week:
- During 1.3, Student Council members will distribute
- 10 hand banners per class for students to waive on the Walk for Reconciliation – please keep these in your room and give to your 1.3 students on Friday just prior to heading out for the walk
- One Orange “Every Child Matters, Honoring & Remembering” pin for each student and staff member in the class to wear throughout the day on Wednesday. Please keep these in your class and distribute to your period 1.3 students on Friday (or maybe Wednesday?) just before the walk.
- Print copies of the route assigned to you.
- Beading with Megan in the Sacred Room – during FIT and lunch
- Period 1.2: District Video
Please play the 30-minute Indigenous Education Department Video during your 1.2 class:
- Bannock at lunch, in the Sacred Room with Pat – Bannock at lunch, Pat in all day and available in Sacred Room (except during the Walk)
- National Day for Reconciliation, schools closed
- Period 1.3: Walk For Reconciliation
As a sign of your support for Reconciliation, please walk with your classes along your assigned route (attached and print copy provide by student council). Please note: this walk was scheduled for Wednesday period 3 and if the weather forecast radically changes by Wednesday morning we may revert to that schedule – thank you for your flexibility! Also, note that there are three routes so as to spread people out – an email detailing the routes and flow, and assigning classes to routes, will be coming out later today.
- Wear Orange all week if possible, and please encourage students to do the same – Wednesday and Friday (for the walk) are especially important!
- Orange banners up all week
- Teach about Reconciliation
- Take time to reflect on the impacts of the residential school system, and to commemorate the tragic loss of lives and culture this system inflicted on Indigenous Peoples