Dear Hastings school community,
As we prepare for the third week of the return to in-person learning and the second to last week of school, families are reminded that to ensure the health and safety of staff and students parents must assess/check their child’s health daily for symptoms of COVID-19 or other infectious respiratory disease before sending them to school. This applies to elementary and secondary students. If symptomatic, the student must stay home and self-isolate and, as always, the parent should call the school office to report the absence to the school.
Staff, students, and any authorized visitors must not attend a school/worksite and must stay home and self-isolate if they:
- Are ill or develop symptoms of COVID-19.
- Have travelled outside Canada in the last 14 days (PHO Order).
- Have been identified as a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case or outbreak.
- Live in a household with someone who is a tested and confirmed COVID-19 case.
Please refer to the VSB’s COVID-19 Updates page for the most up to date information regarding COVID-19 and VSB schools.
Please continue to visit the VSB website regularly for the most up to date information regarding the current situation. Please visit the Hastings school website for the most up to date information from Hastings and please visit the Hastings PAC website for updates from PAC. Also note, previous editions of Hastings eNews are available on our school website.
Reminder Regarding Return to In-person Learning
Hastings’ scheduled in-person learning days are Monday and Tuesday for K-5 students and Wednesday for 6/7 students. Vulnerable students, children of essential service workers and students with complex learning needs may attend 5 days a week. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about scheduling your child for in-person learning. Please do not send your child to school until you’ve received confirmation that they’ve been scheduled for in-person learning.
Please ensure children attending in-person learning are dressed appropriately for the weather.
Please Return Borrowed Devices and Library Books
As we approach the end of the school year, we would like to begin collecting borrowed iPads and other school devices so they can be prepared for next school year. Library book collection will continue as well.
- All borrowed devices must be returned to the school by Monday, June 22.
- Students attending in-person learning can bring devices to school with them and return them to their teacher.
- Families of students not returning for in-person learning, please return devices to the school office. Please do not enter the school. Call 604-713-5507 upon your arrival and a staff member will come out to help you.
- Families of students not returning for in-person learning, please continue to return school library books to the cart outside the main doors of the school anytime between 8:30am and 3:15pm.
- Students attending in-person learning are asked to bring their books to class with them. Classroom teachers will help students return their books to the library.
Yearend Reports and Personal Belongings Pickup
Yearend reports and personal belongings will be sent home with students attending in-person learning on their respective last day of scheduled learning:
- Tuesday, June 23 for k-5 students
- Wednesday, June 24 for 6/7 students
Families of students not returning for in-person learning can pick up yearend reports and personal belongings starting Monday, June 22. Please do not enter the school. Call 604-713-5507 upon your arrival and a staff member will come out to help you.
Yearend reports or personal belongings not picked up by June 30 will be kept at the school and available in September.
2020-2021 School Calendar
Please click HERE to view a downloadable version of the Hastings school calendar for 2020-2021, including next school year’s important and school not in session dates.
2020-2021 School Fees
Please click HERE to view a letter informing families of next year’s school fees.
Not Returning to Hastings for 2020-2021?
Families with children in grades k to 6, who will not, or may not be returning to Hastings for the 2020-2021 school year, please email email@example.com to let our office staff know.
Thank you all for your continued patience, understanding and support. Have a wonderful week!
Susan Dent & Vital Peeters
on behalf of the Hastings Community Elementary School staff