Hello Hastings school community,
Here’s what’s happening at Hastings.
Please continue to visit the VSB website, the Hastings school website and the Hastings PAC website for information regarding district, school and PAC events.
Return to In-Person Instruction Tuesday, October 13
Welcome to students returning to in-person instruction Tuesday, October 13! Teachers will be in contact with returning students’ families with details regarding your return to school. Please contact your child’s teacher for more information.
Communicating Student Learning (CSL) Conferences
Students will be dismissed at 2pm Wednesday, October 21 and Thursday, October 22 to allow for October CSL conferences. In accordance with Covid-19 health and safety protocols, conferences should be done virtually via Teams or by phone. In exceptional circumstances, in-person conferences may be arranged. This year, conference scheduling will be done using Microsoft Bookings. Please be on the lookout for an email regarding conference scheduling the evening of Tuesday, October 13.
Please Pay School and Agenda Fees Online
This year’s general school supply fee is $35 per student, and agendas for the classes that are using them cost $5 per student. These fees are now payable on School Cash Online. Families will need to register for School Cash Online before they can pay fees. Please visit the Fees page of our school website for more information.
The school supply fee for students returning to in-person instruction October 13 is $31.50 (prorated based on a cost of $3.50 per month).
As a reminder, the Vancouver School Board will not deny a child access to the school supplies required for his or her educational program because of financial hardship. Nor will any child be excluded from activities where a fee is charged. If at any time there is a financial challenge, please contact the school principal. All requests will be treated confidentially.
Please complete the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) Consent form and VSB Acceptable Use of Technology Policy (AUP) online
The CASL consent form and AUP can both be completed online at myforms.vsb.bc.ca.
- The CASL consent form only needs to be completed once and is good for the duration of your child’s time with the VSB. All families are asked to please complete the new online CASL consent form.
- Please be sure to choose the correct AUP (K-3 or 4-12) and read and acknowledge it with your child(ren).
- Hastings families are not required to complete the Adobe CC Consent Form at this time.
Reporting Student Absences
Please call 604-713-5159 extension 35 before 9:00 am or as soon as you know your child will be absent to report all student absences.
Please Ensure Your Child Arrives at School On Time
Our welcome bell rings at 8:55 am and teachers will be at their class’s designated drop off/pick up location from a little before 8:55 am to a little after 9:00 am to welcome their students. Please ensure your child arrives at school on time so they can enter the school safely with their teacher and the rest of their class. Students who arrive after their class has left, must report to the office before going to class. Parents accompanying late students, please call 604-713-5507 before entering the school.
Please Ensure Your Child is Dressed Appropriately for the Weather
In order to maintain our Covid-19 safety protocols, maximizing physical distance and minimizing physical contact, all students must remain outside the school before the start of the school day and all students must go outside during recess and outdoor playtime.
Please ensure your child comes to school dressed appropriately for the weather. Suggestions for appropriate rainwear include waterproof boots, a raincoat with a hood, rain pants and an umbrella. As the weather gets colder, gloves, toques and warmer layers to go underneath a water-resistant coat are advised. For younger students who may find it difficult to resist splashing in muddy puddles, families may want to send a change of socks or a full change of clothes.
Please speak with your children about the importance of remaining warm and dry and healthy when outdoors during these unprecedented times.
If your family needs help acquiring rain/winter clothing for your children, please contact your child's teacher or the school office.
Monday, October 12
- Thanksgiving Day - No school
Tuesday, October 13
- First opportunity for Learn from Home Transition Option 4 students to return to in-person instruction. The next opportunities to switch to in-person instruction will be November 9, 2020 and January 5, 2021.
Thursday, October 15
- At 10:15am, Hastings students and staff will be practicing dropping, covering and holding as part of the Great ShakeOut earthquake drill.
Wednesday, October 21 & Thursday, October 22
- Early Dismissal - All students will be dismissed at 2:00 pm to allow for Communicating Student Learning conferences.
Friday, October 23
- Province Wide Pro D Day - No school for students
Wednesday, October 28
- PAC Annual General Meeting, 7:30 pm online. Please visit PAC website for more information.
- If you would like to receive regular email updates from the PAC, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list. Note that your address will not be shared, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Happy Thanksgiving! Have a lovely long weekend and see you Tuesday, October 13!
Vital Peeters and Susan Dent