Henry Hudson Elementary School
Code of Conduct
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of our code of conduct is to promote the continued success of all learners. Hudson School promotes the values expressed the BC Human Rights Code respecting the rights of all individuals in accordance with the law – prohibiting discrimination based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex or sexual orientation – in respect of discrimination publication and discrimination in accommodation, service and facility in the school environment.
The Code of Conduct applies while at school, at a school-related activity or in other circumstances where engaging in the activity will have impact on the school environment.
- Acceptable conduct – At Hudson we demonstrate:
All students will be taught the 3 Steps to problem solving.
- Unacceptable conduct – Behaviours and Concerns
- Rising expectations – As students mature, they are expected to demonstrate greater:
- Self Control
- Suspensions – In accordance with the School Act, Sec 85(2)(ii) and (D), the Board authorizes the Principal or designate of any school in the district to suspend a student from attendance at school for up to five days. Suspensions may be for the following reasons:
- Because a student is willfully and repeatedly disrespectful to a teacher or to any other employee carrying out responsibilities approved by the Board
- Because the behaviour of the student breaches the District Code of Conduct or policy and/or has a harmful effect on others or the learning environment of the school
- Because the student has failed to comply with the School Code of Conduct
- Disruptive behaviour that interferes with the learning and play of others
- Aggressive play (hitting, pushing, kicking)
- Offensive language
- Racist, sexist or homophobic in nature
- Bullying, insulting, demeaning language
- Disruption to the learning environment (loud, intrusive speech, cell phone use)
- Excluding others
- Inappropriate clothing (offensive language printed on clothing, clothing not suitable for a learning environment ie: beach wear or party wear)
- Damaging school or community equipment, resources or facilities
- Any actions which are racist, sexist or homophobic
- The behaviour cited are examples only and are not an all-inclusive list
Hudson School will treat seriously behaviour or communication that discriminates based on race, colour, ancestry, place or origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex or sexual orientation (prohibited grounds set out in the BC Human Rights Code).
It may be necessary to advise other parties of serious breaches of the Code of Conduct. When possible and appropriate, the focus of consequences will be restorative rather than punitive. Special considerations may apply to students with special needs if they are unable to comply with the Code of Conduct due to having a disability of an intellectual, physical, sensory, emotional or behavioural nature
The severity and frequency of unacceptable conduct, as well as the age and maturity of students are considered when determining appropriate consequences.
Suspensions over five days are made in consultation with the appropriate Director of Instruction as per District Policy (http://www.vsb.bc.ca/district-policy/jgd-r-district-student-code-conduct-regulation).