Welcome to IT at Killarney
Post-Secondary Affiliations with Killarney's IT Courses
Killarney IT students have an advantage to get priority or save money at some post-secondary institutions.
Students who enroll in the District's IT program (every Day 2), a 4 course Networking Administor program will be accepted into a quick start 2-year Networking Administor program at BCIT.
Students will not have to take or pay for those courses at BCIT.
Students will have the first semester paid for, some restrictions may apply.
Dual credit program. Students also do no thave to pay for the challenge exams at LaSalle.
Students can challenge several courses at LaSalle, write the exam and if they pass will be able to take courses that require that course as a pre-requesite. Courses can range from thousands of dollars and the challenge exam can range from hundreds of dollars.
|Vancouver Animation School
||Students do not have to take entry level courses, will bypass the queue to have their portfiolio evaluated to get priority seating in their program.|
2015-2016 Students visited Microsoft's downtown location. They took their time to talk to our students and did a presentation just for them.
2018-2019 TEALS. A programmer from the industry will volunteer their time to enhance students' experience with programming.
2014-2015 Jennifer T., an EA Sports programmer volunteered her time to help the Programming 13 students work on thier programming projects that were mainly video games using a range of different game development software/SDKs. One being for visually impaired students.
2013-2015 students were able to tour EA Sports
||2015-2016 students helped process the hardware at Free Geek|
||2016-2017 (April) Students attend a fieldtrip to the United States to spend a day at the LinuxFest conference, where students can attend lectures, workshops, talk to companies recruiting/advertising products, and view/interact with demos.|
||2018 Networking 11 students are able to tour, participate in a demo of the latest technology and learn about the industry.|
||2009 students were able to have a tour of the company. They showed us how they are able to power phones even if there is a power outage and how phone lines are connected when someone creates a new phone number/account.|
Information Technology Opportunities
Hootsuite Kick start your career in Tech - Deadline April 14, 2017
Women in Tech
- SFU's Try/CATCH
- For girls only grade 8-12
- Saturday, May 13th
- Registration form
- This is a completely free, one-day event for high school girls of all skills levels to come to our Burnaby campus and participate in workshops in programming and robotics. Lunch will be provided, and there will be a panel discussion featuring women in the technology industry and female students in Computing Science. Our goal is to encourage young women to enter fields related to Computing Science, where women are highly underrepresented.
- Women in TechEvent: http://womenintechweek.ca/vancouver/
BC Aware - Cyber Security Challenge
- End of April or 1st week of May
and teams are able to login to these emails at https://secure.netfirms.com/secure/login.bml#webmail
Please share this information with your team. As soon as possible, please have your team log in and reply to the message that I’ve sent to let me know that we are ready to go for the competition.
- Register for BCAware
- Cyber Security Curriculum
- Watch videos! here
- Meet: at 8am at the entrance near Georgia X Richards
- WebEx Session: Friday, Jan 27 at 1pm (Join in if you can, but the session should be recorded.)
- Forms needed to be signed and handed in by Friday at the latest:
- Field trip form
- Media consent form
- Things to bring:
- Your TICKET
- Laptop with an Ethernet port or Ethernet adapter
- Ethernet cable
- Headset/Ear buds with a microphone
- Software to install on your laptop before the event
- Remote Desktop (RDP) client for interaction with Windows targets
- SSH client for interacting with Cisco and Linux targets
- Nmap (or any of its GUI cousins) for network mapping and service discovery
- Wireshark for network protocol analysis
- TestDisk for partition discovery and file system forensics
- Netcat for arbitrary TCP/IP fun
District IT students
- This is a list of scholarships that we are/were aware of. We are not
checking to see if these scholarships are still in effect. The student
will need to look into how to apply, what the qualifications are and if
the scholarships are still in effect.
IT 10 - Flow chart tasks
Linux Presentation Ideas