Important Information Regarding Kindergarten Registration
Thank you for submitting and verifying an application form for your child to attend Kindergarten in September.
Laura Secord Elementary and Queen Victoria Annex share a common school catchment area. Students who reside within this catchment (in-catchment registrants) will receive priority for enrolment at one of the two school sites based upon available space.
While completing the online application, parents were asked if they preferred the annex or the main school. This information has been noted on your child’s application form. The district will attempt to accommodate parental preferences for placement, once available space has been determined.
At some sites there may be more in-catchment applicants than available space. In these instances, the following process will be used to prioritize enrolment:
Kindergarten Applications Completed Between November 1st and January 29th
- In-catchment Kindergarten applicants who have a sibling who is currently attending and who will continue to attend Laura Secord Elementary next year will be enrolled first at their preferred location.
- The names of all other in-catchment registrants will be entered into a random draw for the remaining Kindergarten spaces. Students will be registered at their preferred location as space permits.
- Students who cannot be accommodated at their preferred location will be accommodated at the location that has space and will be placed on a waitlist for their preferred location in the order in which their name is drawn.
- Between January 31st and the second Friday in June (when school organizations are finalized), students on the ordered waitlist will be offered spaces at their preferred location as space becomes available. This waitlist will remain active until September 18, 2020.
Kindergarten Applications Completed AFTER January 29th
All in-catchment Kindergarten applications completed after January 29th, will be registered at their preferred location, if there is space, or added to the bottom of the existing waitlist for their preferred location and registered at the location that has space to accommodate them.
- There will be no priority given to registrants with siblings already attending Laura Secord Elementary if they register after January 29th.
- In the event there are more in-catchment registrants than can be accommodated at either catchment site students will be placed at a neighbouring school until space becomes available.
École Laura Secord Elementary
2500 Lakewood Dr, Vancouver, BC V5N 4V1 Phone: 604-713-4996