Strong Start is a free provincially-sponsored drop-in program for caregivers (like parents and grandparents) with children 0-5 years old. It is designed to provide opportunities for play and social interaction together. Activities include arts & crafts, songs & rhymes, books & stories, and more! Strong Start takes place Monday to Friday from 9am to 12pm in Portable 1. Come visit the Strong Start room to join in the fun.
Dear Lord Selkirk Strong Start Families,
Welcome back to school. Hope you all have a restful and fun Spring Break. Our program themes for this month will focus on Baby Animals and Spring. We will learn about baby animals and spring through variety of activities such as art, sensory & science, stories, music and movement. Please come join us play, explore and learn together. For more details, please referral to the monthly calendar attached.
Below are some important dates for this month. Please mark them down on your calendar to avoid disappointment.
• Monday April 1, First day of school. Welcome back!
• Tuesday April 2, music program from VSO School of Music.
• Thursday April 4, Public Health Nurse Visit and BCAA Car Seat Safety presentation.
• Monday April 8, music program from VSO School of Music.
• Tuesday April 9, TAP Session by Public Health Nurses.
• Friday April 12, Pro-D day, Strong Start Close.
• Tuesday April 16, music program from VSO School of Music.
• Friday April 19 & Monday April 22, Easter long weekend, Strong Start Close.
• Thursday April 25, music program from VSO School of Music.
• Monday April 29, Pro-D day, Strong Start Close.
• Tuesday April 30, music program from VSO School of Music.
Welcome to Kindergarten
Selkirk School annually hosts (typically in May) an event for students entering kindergarten the following school year and their families. Students and their parents/families are led among stations where they engage in and learn about various activities that they can do together during the summer before starting school and well into the school year. Each student receives a canvas bag filled with games, materials and books to help make their start to Kindergarten and school a success!
Please watch for this year's Welcome to Kindergarten date in the school calendar on the Home page.
Ready, Set, Learn
Ready, Set, Learn is a provincial initiative for 3-5 year-old designed to provide families with good information about how to support their young child’s early learning, and to help develop positive connections with the school system and local community agencies.
Schools host various play-based early learning events targeted to 3-5 year-old and their families to help influence school readiness. More information about the Ready, Set, Learn initiative is available here on the BC Ministry of Education's website.
Watch our school calendar for Selkirk School's Ready, Set, Learn events in the spring.