Named after the first European settler, Mr. Hugh Magee, the school began in 1912 with nine (European) students in a small, upstairs room in the four room Eburne Superior School in Marpole, the site of the present day David Lloyd George School. Thus began the first high school class in Point Grey (Indigenous students at that time received a segregated education, were separated from their families, and were sent to Residential schools near the current Vancouver Airport, West Vancouver, and even as far as Sechelt).
The autumn of 1913 saw the school move to its present day site at the corner of 49th Avenue and Maple street. At first Magee served all of Point Grey from Marpole, Shaughnessy and Dunbar. In total, twelve thousand one hundred and seventy seven acres of the municipality were served by the one high school, and during its first year at the present site, thirty-one students were in attendance.
The next school in the area was built in 1917 when the eight room Point Grey opened. During the world wide Influenza Epidemic of 1918, Magee was closed while it served as a temporary hospital. At the end of the crisis, the student population grew to 183 students and the first large wing was built.
In 1919, students and staff staged two big fairs which raised $1200. The School Board matched these funds and the Gymnasium was erected in 1921. The next year saw the addition of the second wing (west side).
The unification of three school systems: Vancouver, Vancouver South and Point grey occurred in 1929. Magee, with 778 students, was the third largest school in British Columbia. By 1930/31, Magee had grown to 888 students, 29 staff members and an average class size of 37 pupils (the largest class had 46 students!). 1939 saw a ten room addition, including a new gymnasium, metalwork and woodwork shops, classrooms and the auditorium. The population of Magee had now grown to 1061 students.
The Magee building remained essentially unchanged for the next 60 years. The only other major additions to the school were in 1972/73 when a new library and Social Studies Centre were added. During its 88 years of existence, the "old" Magee was a landmark in the Kerrisdale community. In October of 2000, a modern, completely "new" Magee was officially opened. As a result of the ongoing collaborative efforts of teachers, students, and administrators, Magee continues to be an outstanding school.
Magee's competitive athletics program, combined with its high academic standards, and outstanding Fine Arts provide a continuing pattern of excellence for students graduating from Magee. Some students have become Rhodes scholars while many other have achieved success in prominent careers. This combination has provided an excellent balance for students enjoying the Magee experience. Magee's high standards continue to be maintained today.
Esse Quam Videri - To Be -- Rather Than To Seem To Be.