Nootka Elementary School was originally Lord Beaconsfield Annex. It was opened for instruction on November 1, 1959. As a result of a growing community, Lord Beaconsfield Annex became Nootka School on Dec. 6, 1963. Nootka has a history of respectful children who take great pride in their school.
In February 2003, Nootka opened its new wing, complete with 13 new classrooms, a computer lab, and a Resource Centre complete with five instructional rooms and a mini-computer centre.
Today, Nootka Elementary School has a teaching and support staff of over sixty people providing education services for 425 students from Kindergarten to Grade Seven. We have students from twelve different countries speaking sixteen languages.
Nootka students respect, appreciate, and celebrate our community's multiculturalism. We are a three-track school; we have Kindergarten to Grade 7 program (classic), the THRIVE Program and, as of the 2006/2007 school year, we have a Kindergarten to Grade 7 Fine Arts District Program. Each school follows the Ministry of Education's provincially-prescribed curriculum.
As well, students' educational needs are supported through a variety of services and programs including locally developed initiatives, school resource centres, learning services teams, counsellors, learning assistance centres, English as a Second Language assistance, and access to educational psychologists and speech-language pathologists.
Our school goals this year focus on Literacy and Social Responsibility.