Who We Are - Point Grey Secondary School's Counsellors, 2019/2020
Grade 12 - Ms. Agius (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Grade 11 - Mr. Baxter (email@example.com)
Grade 10 - Ms. Sim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Grade 09 - Mr. Cordoni (email@example.com)
Grade 08 - Mr. Cordoni and Ms. Sim (please contact any of the counsellors to learn which one is working with your child)
Counsellors will follow their students from Grade 9 through to Grade 12. Please contact us by e-mail or by phone through the school switchboard (604-713-8220) for any matter, or to make an appointment to visit in person.
Our counselling team provides academic, career and personal counselling.
Academic Counselling includes assisting students in:
- Discovering their strengths and needs.
- Selecting appropriate and relevant courses for achieving personal goals (please see "Course Selection" below).
- Understanding the behaviours and attitudes that help lead to educational and personal success.
- Accessing post-secondary information about programs, admission requirements and scholarships.
- Working with other students, parents, teachers, and people from the community as a resource.
Career Counselling includes assisting students in:
- Examining their abilities and interests and relating those to potential roles in the world of work.
- Recognizing the relationships between school subjects, leisure activities and occupations.
- Planning and accessing short and long term goals.
- Becoming aware of the variety of careers and occupations available.
Personal Counselling includes assisting students in:
- Self-awareness; strengths, needs and values.
- Goal setting, decision making and problem solving skills.
- Developing and mentoring positive relationships.
- Accessing support for mental health concerns.
- Conflict management and resolution.
- Dealing with a wide range of social, personal and developmental issues.
- Accessing services in the community.