Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Systems and Online Resources
Use of the school’s computer network and the Internet provides great educational benefits to students. Access to both is provided as a privilege to students who agree to act in a considerate and responsible manner. Please follow these guidelines:
1. The Internet is a public place, and as such, general school rules for behaviour apply.
2. The school network is an educational tool, not an entertainment medium.
3. Network storage areas will be treated like school lockers. Network administrators may review files and communications to maintain system integrity and ensure that users are using the system responsibly. Users should not expect that files will always be private.
4. Any unauthorized use of school systems or networks is prohibited. Examples of unauthorized use include but are not restricted to the following:
· Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures
· Using obscene language
· Harassing, insulting, or attacking others
· Vandalizing and/or damaging computers, computer systems, or computer networks
· Violating copyright laws by engaging in plagiarism, illegal downloads, etc.
· Sharing password and user ID
· Using another’s ID or password
· Trespassing on another’s folders, work, or files
· Employing the network for commercial purposes including buying or selling goods or services
· Revealing the personal address, phone number, picture or other personal information of yourself or any other person without permission
· Installing unauthorized files or software on school systems or networks
· Accessing inappropriate Internet sites, online chat rooms and game sites
5. Violations may result in a loss of access as well as other disciplinary and/or legal action.