The Mathematics program is designed to offer the student courses including computational skills, algebra, geometry, logical reasoning, statistics, pre-calculus and calculus. A primary objective of the program is to provide every student with a sound working knowledge of the mathematics necessary to succeed in their chosen post-graduation field. The diversity of our program enables the student to pursue interests in the workplace, apprenticeship programs and in college or university education.
In addition to Math 8 and Math 9, the following options are available:
- Essentials math 9 is for students who have difficulty with abstract concepts but are able to succeed in solving more practical consumer –type questions.
- Hand-timetabled classes are for students who are struggling but can succeed if given more time on the core topics.
- Enriched classes are for high-achieving students who do not need as much time learning the core topics. Enriched courses contain the entire curriculum from the regular program as well as a number of enrichment topics. Problem solving is emphasized.
In grades 10-12, the pathways program designed by the Ministry of Education is followed. There are three options:
- Foundations of Mathematics – designed for students planning to pursue a post-secondary ARTS program. In grade 10, the Foundations and Pre-Calculus courses are combined.
- Pre-Calculus Mathematics - designed for students planning to pursue a post-secondary SCIENCE program. There is an enriched class at the grade 10 and 11 levels.
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Mathematics – designed for students entering the workforce immediately after graduation or who are pursuing specific apprenticeship training.
Please click here to view a PowerPoint outlining the different Mathematics paths.