The Library Monitor Job
The library monitor job is open to Grade 4-6 students for one day a week for three months or so. You will be committing to the whole three month period. If you are unable to come I would ask you to find someone to replace you.
Library monitors are expected to be in the library at 8:35a.m. each morning. After school please come from 3:00p.m. to 3:25p.m.
This is a commitment and it is important that it be taken seriously.
Library Monitor Duties
- Check books out to other students. Find the student in the system, then scan the barcode on their book and wait for the beep, ensuring that each title shows on the screen correctly. Students may check out only 2 books at a time. If they have an overdue please do not check out any books to them. If there are any blocks on their account, please talk to Mrs. Gill or Mrs. Broadland.
- Check books in on the back computer. Once you scan and hear the beep, ensure each title shows correctly on the screen. Put books on the shelving cart in the correct order according to the stickers on the spine.
- Shelve the easy books, fiction, and magazines. Put them away in the correct areas in the library. Do not shelve books unless you are sure where they go. When that is all done, please do some straightening of the shelves by shelving books that have been left lying around and making sure that books are in the correct sections.
- Practice your shelving skills by playing a shelving game online:
- In the morning, arrange the chairs properly, and ask the librarian if there are any new books to put on display. Organize the paperback book baskets and make sure that series are together. Turn on two student computers and open the library catalogue.
- After school, ask the librarian if there are any new books to put on display. Help shut down the student computers, tidy up the library, and help to put away book displays.
- Thursday Monitors, please help with the check-in, shelving, and tidying up the library. We also need to clean tables and put chairs up on Thursdays.