Be media smart and safe
Check out these helpful resources for kids, teachers, and parents at Media Smarts
If you feel unsafe online, or if you are being bullied
or harassed (online or at school),
Kids Help Phone is there
for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Professional counsellors can be contacted online through the chat option, or by phone (call or text).
It's safe, it's private, there is someone to talk with who cares.
Ten Top Tips for Online Safety
- Always ask an adult if you’re unsure of anything when you are online.
- Don’t sign up for sites that are 13+ if you are not old enough (Facebook, YouTube, Instagram etc).
- Remember YAPPY (the personal information you should not share online) – Your full name, address, phone number, passwords, your plans.
- Don’t add people as online friends unless you know them in real life or have parent permission. Never arrange to meet an online friend without talking to a parent.
- Remember that you cannot believe everything you read on the Internet and you can’t trust everything online friends tell you.
- Choose sensible names for usernames, email addresses etc.
- Talk to your parents about what you’re doing online and let them know when you’re going on the Internet.
- Know what cyber bullying is and tell someone if you think it’s happening to you. Cyber bullying is when someone picks on you, annoys, embarrasses, or threatens you over and over again using technology, such as the Internet or a phone.
- Protect your digital footprint: don’t put anything online that you wouldn’t want all your friends, family, teachers and future employers to see.
- Treat others online the way you’d like to be treated.
Tips from: Mrs. Kathleen Morris
Use Safe Search Engines
Try these search engines (rather than always Google), because it filters content to be more
elementary appropriate and written in child-friendly language:
Search - http://www.sweetsearch.com/
Safe Visual Google Search Engine for kids - http://www.kiddle.co/
Awesome Library - http://awesomelibrary.org/
Fact Monster - https://www.factmonster.com/
Safe Search for Kids - http://www.safesearchkids.com/
Kids Click - http://www.kidsclick.org
KidRex - http://www.kidrex.org/