SS 8 : Roman Empire - Inventions and Discoveries
Your mission is to find information on an invention that originated in the era of the Roman Empire (500 BC - 1000 AD). Refer to your teacher's handout for specific details.
- Roman Empire - 937
- Inventions and Discoveries - 607 - 608
Many of these books have been put on a book cart for your class.
A reminder to use the table of contents and index pages to locate specific information.
GENERAL WEBSITES TO BEGIN YOUR SEARCH
- Roman inventions We don't usually recommend Wikipedia as a source but, in this case, we will allow it. This page on Wikipedia has been reviewed and sourced and supplies a list of additional resources, and there is also a table under the heading “Technologies invented or developed by Romans” which provides a list of technology names and a brief description.
- Ancient Roman Inventions (Given that the creator of the website is listed as "an Italian who writes about Roman History", this may not be the best site
- Forvm Romanvm - [Roman Market Place] - Excellent overview of life in the Roman Empire. Has a separate section on surgical Instruments.
- History World - Careful! This begins as a Greek Inventions page, but if you scroll down there are a few links to Roman advancements.
- Discovering Roman Technology (BBC)
- Romans: Technology (BBC) - This is intended for a younger audience but may be beneficial
Once you have picked a specific discovery or invention, your Google searches should lead you to more informative sites.